Sunday 11 October 2009

Stephen Gately 1976 - 2009


As a teenager, I was quite a big fan of Boyzone, although I flitted on to other things when I got older. I can't really say 'grew out of' because it's patronising and my mum has since become a fan. Ronan was my favourite out of them, but I did have a big soft spot for Stephen. So I was very floored last night when at 3 AM the following conversation was had:

Michael: "Hey Mandy, you're a Boyzone fan aren't you?"

Me: "I was when I was younger."

Michael: "Stephen Gately's dead."

Me: "You what??????"

I suppose I could be of the not bothered camp, as this was someone I followed as a kid and might come under the giggly 'what were we like at that age' moniker. But I'm quite sad to hear he's gone. Also marginally freaked out by the fact he was healthy (you had to be to do those dance routines!) and only 33, yet he just went in his sleep. Only six years older than yours truly. I guess it's one of those things that when you're young you think you're never going to die (well, I tend to think of it as an event so long off it seems a bit mad), and when something like this happens, it is a massive shock and reminder that you never know when your number's up.

Stephen is regarded as significant also as one of the first major pop stars to come out as gay back in 1999. Doesn't seem like a big deal now really, but when you think back to what it was like then, only a few years after George Michael's arrest for cottaging, it is was quite significant. According to my mate Paul, Gately ended up coming out after a 'quality Sunday' rag was about to publish it's own 'exclusive' on his sexuality. Just goes to show how homophobic the press were a decade ago, and sad to see that sensationalist attitude still exists today in the media; for example David Tennant kissing John Barrowman at Comic Con in San Diego - The Sun had a field day. Like so what - Barrowman will snog anything that moves and Tennant, well what's the big deal about a straight guy kissing a gay guy? But I digress.

So, I guess I'm really taken aback that one of the guys from my teenybop era has just suddenly gone. Let's just hope the sensationalist media give Stephen's family, friends, partner and bandmates a break, not like they 'considerately' did for Matt Lucas after his ex, Kevin McGee, committed suicide. One rag had an article about it on their website, complete with pictures taken of David Walliams and Jack Dee going into Matts house to look after their mate. No wonder paps end up getting decked by celebrities!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.